HOW CAN EPHA HELP MY ORGANISATION?
EPHA supports its members in a variety of ways: by providing you policy and advocacy support, by offering different capacity building opportunities, by facilitating communications with key public health actors, by allowing you to be represented, directly or indirectly, at EU level, and by putting you in contact with a network of a hundred organisations.
Who can join EPHA?
- Non-governmental organisations (NGOs) concerned with health promotion, disease and injury prevention in their wider sense
- NGOs representing patients and carers concerned about public health issues
- NGOs for which health is a major consideration, such as consumer, development and environmental organisations
- Educational / academic institutions active in areas relevant to public health
- Professional associations active in areas relevant to public health
- Statutory & non-statutory health agencies
- Regional, city and local authorities
How we work
We actively participate in policy debates and dialogues to advocate for European policy change to protect and improve public health and reduce health inequalities, according to whole-of-society and governance-for-health approaches;
Our primary audience for EPHA’s public health messages is policy- and decision-makers, including European politicians, civil servants, plus opinion formers from civil society, relevant stakeholders and the media;
We promote and facilitate participation in the European policy-making process and in EU programmes for the public health community by offering capacity-building opportunities and support for cooperation and partnership, particularly to those working with disadvantaged groups and regions.
We work cooperatively and constructively with civil society platforms and like-minded organisations to advocate more effectively for equity, transparency and good governance in European policies and policy-making.
Rely on us: Membership benefits
Membership benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Opportunities to increase members’ presence and profile at EU level, representing EPHA where they have specialist expertise
- Support to and promotion of member-led initiatives, events, campaigns and media actions
- News alerts, policy updates and analysis
- EPHA-led Working Groups on EPHA key campaigns
- Opportunity to organise Members-led Working Groups on horizontal themes
- Weekly Members News mailing, including key information and opportunities to make your voice heard
- Monthly Policy Coordination Meetings
- Preferential access to a pan-European network of public health organisations active on a variety of issues at European, national and local level
- Free pass to all EPHA-organised events, including EPHA’s yearly Annual Conference
- On request, additional support on a consultancy basis.
Visit the Policy, Capacity building and community section to discover more benefits of EPHA Membership.
We take on other projects according to our values and mission and in line with our campaigns: Action on Antimicrobial Resistance, Digital Health, Food, Drink and Agriculture, Healthy Economic Policy, Trade for Health and Universal Access and Affordable Medicines. Our horizontal priorities are included in everything we do, including, but not limited to, mental health, health workforce, complementary and alternative medicine, children and youth, gender equality, and reducing health inequalities by speaking up for health rights of people in vulnerable situations.
Policy, capacity building and community
We undertake many horizontal activities as an Alliance across all work areas. For example:
- host monthly Policy Coordination Meetings (PCMs) with our members
- facilitate in-depth Working Group meetings on specific topics
- organize capacity-building seminars for our members and other civil society allies
- hold our Annual Conference
- organize EPHA’s Annual General Assembly
- provision of regular policy updates across all health-relevant policy areas, via our monthly newsletter, news feeds, workshops and seminars, briefings for members and publication
- offer capacity building opportunities, including our Professional Development Programme trainings for members, our Roma Health Fellowship programme for Roma health advocates and traineeships for students of public and global health
- coordinate coalition meetings with diverse stakeholders on key campaigns
- advocacy approaches to policy-makers (at EU, national and international institutional levels),
- joint communications with members
- provide public health inputs to policy-makers including position papers, policy briefings
- present EPHA’s expertise at events in Brussels and around Europe, including at EPHA member events
- contribute to expert and advisory groups, for example the TTIP Advisory Group, the e-Health stakeholder group, the Cancer Control Expert Group, and the Patients and Consumers’ Working Party of the EMA
- provide responses to EU public consultations
- actively participate in key European civil society alliances including: Social Platform, Civil Society Contact Group, Better Regulation Watchdog, Health and Environment Alliance (HEAL), Mental Health in All Policies Alliance. In 2015 we also joined the Semester Alliance and Green Budget Europe.
Campaign Working Groups
- Antimicrobial Resistance
- EU Budget and Research
- Food Environment & Sustainable Diets
- Health and Trade [TTIP]
- Healthy Economic Policy and Semester
- Universal Access to Affordable Medicines
- Cancer Control Expert Group
- Health Professionals.
Tailored advocacy services for EPHA Members
For an additional fee, EPHA can provide practical support for members’ advocacy work. Contact the Secretariat to find out how EPHA can help your organisation. For example:
- Strategic advice including identifying the best opportunities in the EU agenda to enhance your advocacy work;
- Develop advocacy campaigns to raise awareness and increase your impact;
- Boost your expertise on EU policies and EU decision-making processes;
- Train, mentor and support your staff to effectively navigate the “Brussels bubble” to increase impact with decision-makers;
- Communications training on how best to reach the EU media agenda;
- Network opportunities to build connections to important decision-makers;
- Deliver timely messages to decision-makers on your behalf if you are not based in Brussels;
- Use research to analyse the EU political landscape and how it relates to your objectives;
- Event organisation, promotion and logistics using EPHA’s outstanding track-record of hosting tailor-made events to communicate your messages in Brussels.
Contact details: Chris Russ, email@example.com Tel: + 32 2 233 38 80
Chris Everton Russ
Tel: + 32 2 233 38 80