Select Page

Transparency Statement

EPHA was founded and registered in Belgium in 1993 as an association internationale sans but lucratif (AISBL) international not-for-profit association (ID No: 5567/94, Moniteur Belge). EPHA is governed by its Statutes and Bylaws, published on the EPHA website together with an annual financial overview and Annual Reports.

EPHA’s annual accounts are submitted to formally recognized external financial auditors. They review and approve the classification of EPHA’s income, according to the source of the funds.  EPHA’s audited accounts are published annually in the Moniteur Belge.

With regard to Governance, the highest decision-making body is EPHA’s General Assembly (GA) which convenes the membership and decides on the strategic direction (multi-annual and annual), as well as providing financial oversight, election of a Board (composed of up to 7 member representatives for a two-year term) and discharge of EPHA’s accounts. The Board selects its own President, Vice-President and Treasurer after each Annual General Assembly.  A Governance Handbook guides staff and board members in day-to-day operations and good working practices

EPHA’s Board adopted Ethical Fundraising Guidelines in 2015 (available on request). The conditions under which EPHA can accept funding from any private entity are strictly defined. EPHA is expressly forbidden from accepting any funding from entities commercialising health-harmful products, including tobacco, alcohol, weapons or unhealthy foods. The EPHA Board has responsibility for oversight of the EPHA budget and is involved in all decisions on potential funding opportunities, which are discussed and reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The Board examines all parameters of the potential funding source, including whether it is aligned with EPHA’s mission and core values as well as whether acceptance of funding would affect EPHA’s ability to undertake its mission and activities independently and efficiently.

During the period 2015-2017, less than 2% of EPHA core funding came from commercial organisations: GSK provided a non-restricted grant (ca. EUR10,000 p.a) for the implementation of a specific project to improve the health of isolated and excluded Roma communities.

In 2016 (the most recent year for which audited accounts are available), EPHA received an operating grant from the European Commission’s Executive Agency for Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food for up to 80 % of its core operating costs. The remaining 20 % of the core operating budget was met from membership fees and subscriptions (11 %), conference and/or workshop fees (2.3 %) and other resources (6.6%).

In addition to core operating activities, EPHA seeks to improve its financial sustainability by diversifying funding sources for projects contributing to our vision, mission and values to protect and improve public health in Europe. This includes research projects for public authorities and agencies and policy projects with philanthropic foundations.

Made with love by COCREATE

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR MAILING LIST

We publish our newsletter ten times a year to keep you informed about the latest news on public health in Europe. You can receive it directly in your mailbox.
First Name
Last Name
Email address
Secure and Spam free...