European Alliance for Responsible R&D and Affordable Medicines
The Alliance strives for the creation of an R&D system that is driven by public health needs and delivers medicines that are universally accessible and affordable.
The Alliance is a free-to-join network established in 2016 that gathers representatives of civil society – consumer, patient and public health organisations. The Alliance is committed to securing affordable prices of medicines and ensuring safe, effective and public-health-driven R&D through research, advocacy, policy development and monitoring.
Our campaigns promote transparency at the core of the pharmaceutical policy process but also for the R&D costs, prices of medicines and clinical trial data. The Alliance is determined to end pharmaceutical monopolies by enabling generic and biosimilar competition and the implementation of effective price control mechanisms.
EPHA hosts and is a member of the Alliance. The Alliance is supported by the work of its members as well as by the financial contributions from the Open Society Foundations and EPHA.
The Alliance’s objectives:
Encourage cooperation between civil society organisations to develop outreach activities such as joint initiatives and advocacy campaigns.
Create a platform for knowledge and expertise exchange related to the access to medicines and responsible R&D.
Reinforce the civil society presence and visibility at the European and national level to secure political commitment.
What are the Alliance's main activities?
- Ensuring a balance between innovation, public health needs, accessibility and affordability through the revision of the Pharmaceutical Strategy.
- Securing the public interests and full transparency at HERA.
- Reinforcing higher standards for patentability at the European Patent Office.
- Promoting incentives for new antibiotics that delink the cost of investment in R&D from the prices and volume of sale while adopting an end-to-end approach.
- Providing recommendations to prevent and mitigate the impact of medicine shortages on patients and healthcare providers.
- Promoting a new biomedical R&D model by committing public funds to support a needs-driven approach to pharmaceutical R&D.
- Supporting the introduction of conditions to public R&D funding that ensure biomedical research results in suitable and affordable medicines.
How can I join the Alliance?
The Alliance welcomes new members who wish to join us and work on access to medicines issues in Europe. Endorsing the Joint Declaration is a prerequisite to becoming a member of the Alliance.
If you believe that the Alliance can complement the work you are doing and that you could support the Alliance, you must complete this application form.
Get the EPHA Newsletter
The best of our activities, right in your inbox!